+27 83 671 8208
I have a deep love affair with beauty.
I observe it, I document it, I chase after it, I seek to create it, I love sharing it.
Eldridge Simon, a wedding photographer who served at the church my family served at, must have seen this when he first approached 16 year old me and a few other creatives in church. To this day, I have no idea why he decided that it would be a good idea to grab a few of us and take us on a creative retreat where he and his business partner would teach, mentor and train us in all things videography. But that’s what they did & I am so so so grateful for that. For them.
Fast forward 12 years & I have never loved photography more than I do right now. It has allowed me to photograph the lives and hearts of so many people. It has enabled me to give someone something priceless that they will get to cherish all their lives. Something they will get to show their children or their children’s children and tell them all about the moment when that photo was taken.
This year I became a mom to the sweetest, busiest little girl, Eliana Promise. She is such a wanderer. My husband, Neal, and I have committed to photographing her everyday, at least once a day for the first year of her life. Who knows, maybe we’ll be able to keep it up. We want Eliana Promise to be able to look back one day and look at these photos and know, that her life, is one that is cherished.
I read somewhere that a birth certificate tells that you were born, a death certificate that you died and a photo album, that you lived. A life you lived well. Every morning I open my eyes, I do so with a happy heart. I am so blessed that you allowed me to photograph the day you got engaged; the day you said your I do’s; the day you gave birth to your precious angel; your babies first few smiles and your precious moments with them; the day you realize you need to celebrate yourself and you decided to book a portrait session with me; every other special moment or day in your life you asked me to photograph.
Thank you. For celebrating life & for asking me to document it all; your life, your love, your beauty.
A little bit more about me
So you know that my name is Davene and that I have a love relationship with my camera & all things that help me create. But here’s a few things you may not have known about me:
- I’m married to guy whose hair is longer than mine. His Name is Neal & he’s the coolest person I’ve met.
- I recently became a mom (ok, maybe not so recently) to a beautiful little girl who goes by the name, Eliana Promise.
- I love Jesus. He is the centre of my universe.
- We have 3 brown dogs, who come in different shades & personalities. They have a lot of energy, make a lot of noise, have no respect for leaving things neat & tidy, but we can’t imagine life without them.
- I love windy days.
- I’m obsessed with lace, plants, good food and walking barefoot on the beach with my dogs running happily next to me.
- I’m a dreamer.
- I sew. In fact, I sewed my wedding dresses (two dresses, one wedding!).
- Before I became a photographer, I studied Psychology & then Education. I taught for 2 years and then decided to follow this dream that I became more and more in love with. I’ve been a photographer for 6 years & I love it more and more everyday.
- The only thing that can get me to stop doing something that I really really want to do is an episode of Grey’s Anatomy or Scandal (previously known as the Fixer). I love Kerry Washington’s character as Olivia Pope and I think this series is the best thing that TV has to offer. Also, I have keen appreciation for the existence of Shonda Rhimes.
- I like to think I can paint. Watercolor has been my thing lately.